FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
We’ve enjoyed answering reader questions on our blog since 2007. Click on any of the questions below– these are the ones that seem to be on a lot of bakers’ minds. If you’re having a problem with one of our recipes, breeze through these FAQs first. If you can’t find an answer there, click on any “Comments” field adjoining a “post” here on the website (doesn’t have to be related to the content underneath). Tell us which book you’re working from, and which recipe and page number.
And please understand that our publisher would disown us if we put all our full-detail recipes here on the website or in the comment responses. If we did, there’d really be little reason for anyone to buy our books. This site is mainly a way of reaching out to our readers, and supporting them as they work on recipes that appear in our published books.
If the list of FAQs below doesn’t get you the answer you need, try our Search Bar. On the Home Page, it’s right over our pictures. In narrower displays, it sometimes appears right underneath our orange BreadIn5 logo. Type in the bread style, ingredient, or technique that you’re interested in, and the search engine will show you all the similar posts we’ve ever done on it, with recipes and answers to many questions.
- Comments policies: I posted a comment to this site but it hasn’t appeared. What happened? Can I put up links to other sites?
- Contest and Giveaway Rules
- Convection oven: Any adjustment needed?
- Dense or gummy crumb: What am I doing wrong?
- Flour varieties: Do I need to adjust the liquids when I use different kinds of white flour?
- Freezing the dough: Can I do it?
- Fresh-ground grains: can I use them with this method?
- Gluten-Free Frequently Asked Questions (GF FAQs)
- Gray color on my dough: Is there something wrong? Is it mold?
- High-altitude baking: How do I adjust the recipes for high-altitude?
- Incorporating dried fruit, nuts, or herbs into stored dough: How do I do it?
- Larger loaves: What adjustments are needed?
- Left the dough on the counter overnight! Can I still use it?
- Measuring flour by volume: How we measured when we tested the recipes (scoop-and-sweep)
- Missing instructions and missing recipes: Some of the web-based recipes don’t have everything I need to make the bread, and others are missing from the website altogether
- Nutrition content: How can I calculate it?
- Photographs: Can I post pictures to this website?
- Refrigerator rise trick: The formed loaves or rolls rise overnight and are ready for the oven the next day
- Rising: My shaped loaves don’t seem to rise much before it’s time for the oven. What am I doing wrong?
- Salt: Can I decrease the amount of salt in the recipes? How do I adjust for different kinds of salt?
- Sourdough starter: Can I use it with this method?
- Steam alternatives: How do I create a steam environment for a great crust when my oven doesn’t trap steam well?
- Stone broke! What did I do wrong?
- Storing bread: What’s the best way to do it?
- Traditional recipes: How can they be converted to the ABin5 method?
- Underbaked! My loaf didn’t bake through to the center. What am I doing wrong?
- Web use: Can I use your recipes on my own website, in my class, or in a publication?
- Weighing ingredients instead of using cup measures: How do you do it?
- Whole grain flours and vital wheat gluten: How do you use them?
- Whole grain flours and doughs without vital wheat gluten: How do those work?
- Yeast: Can it be decreased in the recipes?
- Health questions that we’ve received over the years